It felt so good to be back for another round of Giant Days, following our three wholesome “grown-up women in the modern world.”
Second year begins and Daisy, Susan, and Esther have taken their friendship commitment to the next level by moving into their “beautiful home”, off-campus. But the keys didn’t come without a whole new level of responsibility. Unwanted suitor visits, a robbery, and Susan living only a few blocks apart from her ex-boyfriend, McGraw has made the dorms feel like a haven. The girls are in for a dose of reality when they learn that there’s more to being an adult than paying your own rent.
This newest addition to the series was the most grown up we’ve seen our group. From crossing the brink of adulthood by hosting a fancy dinner party at their new home to dealing with unexpected tragedies happening all around. We’ve matured a lot as a group.There’s a reason why Giant Days is the only comic series I actually bother to keep up with consecutively, and the answer lies mostly within the characters.
- We have a new story arc centering around Daisy. From visiting her past to find out the reason behind her parents’ tragic and unforeseeable death, to watching her branch out and date her complete opposite in the present. I never tire of seeing Daisy Wooton have more “screen” time.
- In the meantime, with Daisy taking advantage of her youth, Esther has taken on the mom-friend duty with excellence.
- The humor is remarkably up to par in this newest volume, like, morbidly so.The last panel actually made me laugh out loud.
- Speaking of which, here’s another gem of classic comedy:
Esther’s comment “He’s going to break the toilet” broke me.
- Finally, on a completely unrelated note, the tumultuous relationship between McGraw and Susan is unfortunately still happening. Though I’m secretly hoping they work things out in future issues, I’m still game for whatever direction the writers decide to head in.
Note: I’m an Amazon Affiliate. If you’re interested in buying Giant Days, Vol. 6, just click on the image below to go through my link. I’ll make a small commission!